In 1936, the City of Johannesburg’s Jubilee year, a group of prominent and influential people in Johannesburg conceived the idea of establishing a living memorial which would serve as a reminder of Johannesburg’s 50th Jubilee, whilst honouring those who had assisted in the founding and development of the city.

The idea was proposed to the Jubilee Memorial Committee who were enthusiastic about the scheme, which was to establish Randjeslaagte (the name given to the triangular piece of uitvalgrond on which the city of Johannesburg was founded in 1886) and to create a home for Johannesburg’s ageing pioneers.  Together with the City Council, they made their dream a reality.

The Jubilee Committee purchased 40 acres of vacant rural land covered by grass, shrubs and a few trees adjacent.  From the outset, Randjeslaagte was supported by the citizens of Johannesburg, especially by the group of generous and highly regarded people.

The village was to be created in a garden setting to house about 200 aged people – 50 married couples, 50 single woman and 50 single men. If there were not enough single men then accommodation could be used for both genders.

Randjes Estate has developed into one of the largest and most sought-after Retirement Estates  in South Africa.